Soil conservation is not something new or recently considered. In the mid-1930’s Franklin D. Roosevelt wrote to the governor of each state recommending legislation to establish soil and water conservation districts to prevent the loss of valuable soil resources. The President’s letter expressed this concern: “The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.” Soil Conservation District laws were passed in all states to provide local leadership for soil conservation programs.
The Robert E. Lee Soil and Water Conservation District was organized on July 24, 1940, under the provisions of the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Districts Law of 1938. The District was originally made up of the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell, Buckingham and Cumberland. It was reorganized in 1972, at which time the City of Lynchburg joined the District and Buckingham and Cumberland Counties withdrew to form a separate Soil and Water
Conservation District known as the Peter Francisco District. Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell Counties and the City of Lynchburg now make up the Robert E. Lee District.
Serving the Counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell and the City of Lynchburg.